Whether you use them for sport, additional security, or just enjoy collecting them, owning firearms is quite a long-term investment, so it’s essential to keep them securely stored when they’re not in use.
If you’re a collector of firearms and need a place to store your long guns, handguns, and other rifles, a gun safe is a secure place to keep your collection. A gun safe is designed to keep your firearms protected until you plan on using them; however, with so many different types of gun safes available, it’s challenging to know what features matter most when you’re shopping.
Buying a gun safe is a wise investment for protecting your firearms and your family, but there are plenty of things to consider before purchase. That’s why we’re taking a closer look at the dos and don’ts of buying a gun safe, so you make the best decision for your firearm collection and your home.
Do’s of Buying a Gun Safe
When it comes to buying a gun safe, no two safes are the same because everyone’s safety needs are different! While they’re ideal for storing firearms, they’re also great for storing essential documents, files, and other family valuables. However, sometimes finding the best gun safe for your home is easier said than done. Investing in a gun safe is pretty costly, so it’s essential to find the right long-term fit for your firearms and family.
If you’re ready to buy a gun safe but aren’t sure what to look for as you start your shopping, it’s a good idea to keep the following in mind as you begin your search.
- Do Buy a Larger Gun Safe
- If you’re a collector of antique rifles or plan on purchasing more long guns, investing in a safe that fits your current collection isn’t the best long-term decision. Eventually, you’ll run out of room and have to upgrade your existing gun safe. Consider investing in a safe that has additional space, so you’re never pressed to buy another gun safe as your collection grows.
- Do Take Advantage of Storage Space
- While gun safes are meant for storing rifles, it’s wise to find a design that includes various storage shelves and compartments for additional items. Storing handguns, documents, or other family valuables in your safe means they’re protected while you’re at work or out of town. Investing in a gun safe with these features means you can store additional valuables in your safe, keeping all your prized possessions in one spot.
- Do Consider Installation and Location
- All gun safes come in different shapes and sizes, so before buying, consider where you’d like to place your safe and what model works best for that particular location. If you’d like your gun safe stored away in the garage, you can probably pick a model with larger dimensions. If you’d like your safe to be a little more accessible, let’s say in your master bedroom closet, you’ll have to find something that fits within the dimensions of this location.
- Do Consider a Fire Resistant Safe
- Even though burglaries are more common than home fires, it’s a good idea to invest in a fire-resistant gun safe. This way, any important documents, photos, or valuable items aren’t burned, providing you with extra peace of mind in the long run.
Even though there are many features to consider before buying a gun safe, it’s essential to think through all your options, so you make the best decision for your home security.
Don’ts of Buying a Gun Safe
Even though there are plenty of do’s to follow when buying a gun safe, there are also plenty of don’ts you’ll have to consider. Purchasing a gun safe is a wise financial investment, but the last thing anyone wants is to buy the wrong model or have a safe installed in the wrong location.
Before buying a gun safe, review the following points to avoid making the wrong decision for your firearms.
- Don’t Place Your Safe in A Common Area
- Even though it’s wise to keep your guns accessible, it’s not a good idea to keep your gun safe in a high-traffic area or near a window. Chances are neighbors, or even the postal service will see your safe, and if word gets out, potential burglars might try to break into your home and see what’s inside. Place your safe in a secure location where it’s hidden from prying eyes.
- Don’t Forget about Temperature Regulation
- Storing your safe near a furnace or other places with extreme temperatures means your guns could become too hot or cold and potentially start to rust. Storing your safe in a temperature-regulated area is ideal, but if the best location turns out to be your garage or basement, a dehumidifier is a great addition to keep your firearms protected from moisture. We generally install 60%-70% of customer safes in their garages or basements.
- Don’t Overlook Informing Your Family
- Buying a safe is an essential investment for you and your family, but before making the purchase, be sure to talk to your entire household about where it will be and the contents inside.
- Don’t Forget to Research
- When it comes to buying a gun safe, this is an investment you want to last a lifetime. Rushing this purchase means you’ll potentially purchase a gun safe that doesn’t fit your needs, so take the time to research different models and find the best solution for your home.
What is the Best Gun Safe?
When buying a gun safe, it’s important to remember that not all safes are created equal. Some models may have different specs, features, and security/fire ratings, so ultimately, this buying decision comes down to what you may specifically want or need out of your safe. Before buying a gun safe, it’s essential to think about the following features:
- Safes are a significant investment, so it’s essential to consider your wants/needs as well as your budget. You may find a safe that immediately gives you exactly what you need in both of these areas, or you may find you need to up or downgrade in one of these areas.
- Consider your safe’s use - are you a collector of antique rifles that needs additional fire or security protection? Or, will this be used for hunting rifles that don’t need the same level of protection as something irreplaceable? Finding a safe that fits your use requirements is essential before making a purchase.
- The interior of your safe is significant, so consider how much space you’ll need to store your rifles, and look for safes that meet those requirements. Remember, most gun capacities are based on bare rifles, minimum shelving, and nothing else being stored alongside your firearms. If you want better-organized storage and firearm accessibility, consider buying a safe with a capacity larger than the actual amount of guns you are looking to store.
- The dimensions of your safe matter because larger safes require more space. Think about where you’ll place your safe and if the size fits in those parameters. Also, make sure your safe will fit through any doorways, hallways, or staircases that it will have to traverse to make it to its final install destination.
- In safe manufacturing, the highest quality materials will result in a higher price. So, when deciding which safe is best for you, remember that if the combined size, capacity, and price of a safe seem too good to be true, then it probably is. Since safe buying is often a one-time purchase, don’t be afraid to invest in a quality product that will last a lifetime.
- Investing in a safe with a limited or lifetime warranty means you get peace of mind, knowing you’ve got a safe that can go the distance. And even in the event of theft or a house fire, most warranties will cover damage, and sometimes even a replacement safe.
At Spartan Safe, we want our customers to know all their options before buying a gun safe. That’s why we carry some of the most respected safe brands in the nation, so you feel confident about the security and longevity of your gun safe.
At Spartan Safe, our showrooms are stocked with incredible safe collections, including:
If you’re wondering where to buy a gun safe and want to work with a company that values your belongings as much as you do, Spartan Safe is here to help. We respect and prioritize our customers’ safety and comfort, and to better serve you and our community, carry high-quality collections like Liberty gun safes that last a lifetime.
Secure Your Firearms with Spartan Safe - Gun Safes made in the USA
At Spartan Safe, 100% of our gun safes are designed to accommodate long guns, handguns, and other family valuables, so you have total peace of mind about your belongings. Plus, with lifetime warranties on so many of our products, you can count on our safes to keep your valuables protected.
Instead of wondering how or where to buy a gun safe, visit your local Spartan Safe showroom to see our products in person! Have additional questions? Contact our team to learn more about our products and how to approach buying a safe!